Friday, July 13, 2018

"Victory In Jesus" ~ Hymn Story ~ Lucy Neeley Adams


 Victory In Jesus
a hymn story by Lucy Neeley Adams
Material © by Lucy Neeley Adams


The Sunday night worship service at our church was not complete until we heard a familiar voice on the back row.  Our friend, Louis, always asked that we sing, "Victory In Jesus" as the closing hymn  And it was a joy to sing of hope and thankfulness to God, who will lead us to victory in Him. 

Another friend, Dan Pratt, author of TEARS ON THE CHURCH HOUSE FLOOR, writes about his son Bill, who is a non-reader.  But he can make a joyful noise with music that touches the heart.  "That is especially true if the song is, "Victory in Jesus". Many people have said that Bill's rendition brings tears to their eyes."

Recently, when I heard a young woman's testimony, based on this old favorite, it inspired me to dig deeper into its meaning.  The message came from the Prison Fellowship ministry (www.prisonfellowship.org) and a former inmate, Deborah, shared it to bring hope and healing in the midst of suffering.  Her first sentence to prison, initially scared her, so she reached out for God after her release.  But she soon returned to her previous rebellion and was arrested again. 

"I was angry and felt isolated", Deborah [the woman mentioned above] says, "like God had deserted me and this was my fate in life.  But then one day in 1995, I heard that a group of people from Prison Fellowship were coming to sing. One particular old hymn caught my attention ..." 
 'I heard an old, old story, how a Savior came from glory.  How he gave his life on Calvary to save a wretch like me.  I heard about his groaning, of his precious blood atoning.  Then I repented of my sin and won the victory.'

"Everything seemed to come together about my pitiful past life and that I had been a wretch.  So I asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior.  Even though I had to remain in prison to complete my sentence, I was free in the Lord.  Deborah Daniels, is now a staff member with Prison Fellowship, and is an inspiration to many people." 

The musical talents and Christian faith of composer, Eugene M. Bartlett, spread throughout the south and in 1918, he established the Hartford Music Company of Hartford, Arkansas.  He published a monthly music magazine, Herald of Song, which promoted local musical groups.  After he composed, "Victory In Jesus", he spoke of the joy of his  salvation in this personal testimony.  It was first published by Vaughn Publishing in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. 

Eugene Bartlett died in 1941 at the age of 56, only two years after he had written this powerful hymn of confession and praise.  At the gravesite, there is a beautiful inscription on the headstone.  The first six musical notes are inscribed and underneath each note are the words, "I heard an old, old story."   

In 1973, Bartlett was posthumously inducted into the Gospel Music Associations Hall of Fame in Nashville, Tennessee. Praise the Lord, that this hymn continues to grow in its ministry to lift up God's glory!

We are blessed and will always praise God for this beautiful story and pray will continue to bring victory with these words of faith. 

Lucy Neeley Adams

Peg Here: As usually happens whenever I get to post one of Lucy's wonderful Hymn Stories. I'm inspired to looking for a video to go along with it. So, here's the one I found. Enjoy! 


Video from one of the Bill and Gloria Gaither Homecoming gatherings.






1 comment:

  1. Thank you, dear Lucy, for digging into the background of this favorite old-time hymn. I hope you enjoyed the video I found. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete