Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Author Interview ~ Allison Wells ~ War-Torn Heart


It's time for an Author Interview! 
Today I'm pleased to bring you Allison Wells who so graciously consented to this online interview. 
It sure would have been fun if we could have done this in person outside at a cafe in Clemson, right?

Picture courtesy Pixabay.com

Hi, Allison, welcome to Whispers in Purple! I’m so excited to be hosting you and your debut book, War-Torn Heart. I have all kinds of questions to ask about it, but first, let’s find out a little bit about you.

Tell us five random things about you.

1.              My family has been in South Carolina since the 1640s.
2.              I was a wedding photographer from 2005 to 2011.
3.              I was a trombone player and now my daughter is playing as well.
4.              I have 8 tattoos and would love more.
5.              I wrote War-Torn Heart in 2005 when going through a time of infertility.

I’m always curious about other writers’ habits, quirks and such: background music or complete silence? snack while you write? Share a few of yours.

I have four children, so my writing habits have to be adaptable. What I would prefer often has to give way to what I can manage. Right now my preschooler is watching a show in the living room while I’m trying to work in the dining room. I would love quiet or era-appropriate music when I write, but usually, it’s kids television shows. I’ve learned to tune most of it out.

Describe your favorite writing space.

Right now it’s the dining room table. I wish I had a “she-shed” to escape to, but I don’t. I have to be accessible for the little people in the house. But my dining room table is a good height for me type at, and it is away from the television but still where I am easy to find.

What’s your typical writing day like?

I don’t think I have one! I have to write when I have time. It’s hard from home because then I have piles of laundry looking at me, or kids who need help with homework. They are my priority. I do try to write while my youngest is in preschool during the morning, or after everyone is in bed at night.

World War II stories never seem to lose their popularity, and I am no exception. So, tell us … how did you come to write War-Torn Heart? In other words, why did you choose this genre and this era?

            War-Torn Heart is set in Clemson, South Carolina where our hero Harvey is a cadet at the then all-male military Clemson College. The entire Clemson class of 1943 left to join the war effort after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, so it was only natural to place him as a cadet.
            I was a journalist for a local newspaper and covered a small town just a few miles from Clemson, and was intrigued by the local history and how families interacted with the college.
            As a Christian myself, it was only natural to write a story where my characters were believers and who wrestled with their faith after heartache.


Other than the fact you live in South Carolina, is there some special significance to setting this story there?
            I am a Clemson alumnae, and here in Clemson we have a saying -- “There’s something in these hills.” And it is so true. There’s something magical about the Upstate of South Carolina and Clemson in particular. The people are friendlier, the sky is brighter, and the Blue Ridge Mountains proclaim God’s glory every day. I hope my readers come to love this area as I do.

How much of you is in Abigail?
            So much of Abby is me! I definitely wrote Abigail’s appearance based on my own. Dark, curly hair and a softer body. She has some self-doubt, but her faith and her family are the most important things to her, just like me. I like to think that Abigail is the 1940s version of Allison. I also based Harvey off my husband with almost black hair and green eyes.

One of your reviewers on Amazon used the word “bittersweet” which makes me wonder. Without giving anything away … did you cry while writing War-Torn Heart?
            I’ve often said that my characters write their own stories, I just record them for everyone to read. So when certain things happen in the story, yes -- I am crying right along with everyone else. I will argue with the characters about things that happen, but they tell me this is how is it. I try to write realistically, and life is not all sunshine and roses. When readers cry, please know I was sobbing as well.

What takeaway value do you hope readers will gain from this novel?
            I sincerely pray that my readers will find a story that’s not just a romance about finding love, but a story that is about finding faith. I want them to see that life will try to knock you down and give you more lemons than you can count, but if you would just give your troubles to God, He will hold you up and restore you.

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
            The sequel to War-Torn Heart should be out by the end of the year. When Waves Break follows the twin daughters of Abby and Harvey as they experience their own heartache and learn to grow in their faith just as their mother did.


About the book:

                   TitleWar-Torn Heart
                   PublisherAmbassador International
                   Release Date20 March 2019
                   GenreChristian Romance
                   Stand alone or seriesIt’s the first in a series!

Back Cover: Abigail Walker, a young woman from rural South Carolina, is on the cusp of womanhood, aching to be able to run wild as the younger children do, yet yearning for things she has yet to understand. 

Awkward and unsure of herself, Abby is flustered when she meets Harvey Nicholas, the nephew of a family at her church and a cadet from Clemson College. As summer begins, Abby finds herself constantly in the company of Harvey and falling quickly in love with him.

As rumors of war begin to reach the States, Abby begins to fear what may come for her older brother and Harvey. Once Pearl Harbor is bombed, the boys are eager to protect their home and the women they love. But will Abby and Harvey's love be able to withstand distance, rumors, loss, and hurt? Or will the war be what tears apart Abby's heart?


War-Torn Heart is a Kleenex-box book with a story of hope, of love, and of perseverance through World War II, which will make readers cry, scream, and long for more.



Allison Wells:
website: www.allisonwellswrites.com

Twitter: @OrangeAlli
IG: @OrangeAlli  



Thank you so much, Allison, for being my guest today and agreeing to this interview. I’ve really enjoyed having you here.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for granting us this interview, Allison. Fascinating reading, especially the part about your family having lived in South Caroline for almost 400 years! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete