Friday, September 20, 2019

Our Forever Friend ~ Faithful Friday ~ Alexis A. Goring


Our Forever Friend
A devotional by Alexis A. Goring



Recently, I re-read a mini-devotional thought that is located within a sidebar on the pages of my True Identity Bible, published by Zondervan.



The title of the mini-devotional thought is “At Issue: Loneliness.”



Here is what I read:



“In the beloved book Anne of Green Gables, Anne longs for a “bosom friend.” Can you relate? Unfortunately, most of us have known the pain at times of not having a close friend. Yet loneliness is not entirely bad. Painful as it is, loneliness is good when it pushes us to grow closer to the best friend we’ll ever have—God. No other friendship can compare to his. He knows and accepts us completely. He is right there with us, always. In the good times we take our friend for granted. In the bad times we realize we need him – and he’s right there.”



Though I’ve read the devotional countless times before, this time that I re-read it really struck a chord with me. Finally, it dawned on me that I already have the best kind of friend anyone can have, his name is Jesus Christ and He loves humankind with His life! Read John 3:16-17 in a Bible.



Yes, I know the pain of feeling left out. Not having a best friend here on Earth (as in a fellow human who is your forever friend). Not having the “Maid of Honor” experience in my best friend’s wedding (if I had a best friend). Not being a bridesmaid several times over in all of my close friends’ weddings. Not having as Anne of Green Gables called it, a “bosom friend.”



But, I do also know the unexplainable JOY that comes when Jesus Christ is your best friend for life! Literally. His friendship will never fade. He will be your best friend here on Earth and in Heaven, forever (literally again)!



And that truth brings me hope. It also gives me a fresh perspective. Because it can be so easy for us – especially females – because of the culture that we live in, to feel left out if our social lives don’t look like what we see on TV, at the movies and on social media.



But just because you see those worldly standards for friendships all around you, you don’t have to believe that those representations of life are how your life should look. You don’t have to subscribe to worldly standards of living.



Yes, it’s great to be included. Yes, it’s great to have a best friend or a circle of close friends. Yes, it’s wonderful if God blessed you with one special bosom friend like Anne of Green Gables had in Diana.



But if you do not have that yet then don’t worry about it; pray about it!



Trust God to bring the people into your life who need to be there. And if He blesses you with a “bosom friend” or a close-knit, healthy circle of friends then praise Him! But don’t forget to cultivate your relationship with the one friend who will NEVER leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)…Yes, that friend is Jesus Christ!



I hope that this devotional has encouraged your heart! In closing, I’d like for you to listen to this song, “Forever Yours,” by Wintley Phipps.



God bless you!



Love,



Alexis A. Goring



~*~

Author Bio (short): Alexis A. Goring is a passionate writer with a degree in Print Journalism and an MFA in Creative Writing. She loves the art of storytelling and hopes that her stories will connect readers with the enduring, forever love of Jesus Christ.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Alexis! I agree. Jesus is the best friend. Years ago, my friends moved away, taking jobs in different states. I saw it as a sad time. Now, I look back and realize it was a blessing in disguise. This relationship I have with Jesus is all because, in my loneliness, I drew near to him. Thank you for this lovely reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Gail. Alexis never disappoints.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this awesome reminder, Alexis!! Friends may come and go, encourage or disappoint us, or walk along side or leave us flat, but Jesus never fails!! I am heartsick when I wonder what kind of a friend I've been to Him, yet He is with me, forgiving my shortcomings and willing to continue working in my life!! Thank you, Jesus! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, "unknown" -- thanks for visiting and leaving a comment for Alexis. I so appreciate her Faithful Friday contributions.

      Delete
  3. I'm a little lax on my hostess responsibilities today. Sorry Alexis. Just wanted to thank you for being my guest today for for reminding us that we DO have a friend ... forever, and His name is Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's timing is perfect as I read this at our first stop of our final moving trip. I'm emotional as I already miss the beautiful church, friends, clients, and organizations God connected us with-- knowing He will do the same thing where we are headed. We are overwhelmed with gratitude as we look to Him for our next chapter. Thank you, Alexis for such a great article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Cathy, moving is always emotionally hard no matter how long you've lived in the place you're leaving. We'll miss those precious friends we're leaving behind, but Jesus is a friend who always travels with us. Amen!

      Delete
  5. That is so true, Alexis!!! We already have our best friend in Jesus!

    ReplyDelete