Friday, October 13, 2017

Driving with God






Driving with God


by Bonnie Engstrom
This is not Bonnie, though I think it looks like her. Image from Pixabay

He’s following too close.

The black SUV behind me was so close I could see the drivers face in my rearview mirror. I’d put my right turn signal on at least a block before. Either he didn’t see it because he wasn’t paying attention, or he was “cowboy driver” testing fate.

Thankfully, as I slowed down for the turn, he must have eased on his throttle. Still, he was close enough if I’d had to stop suddenly, there would have been a rear-ender collision.

Turning onto the side street I checked the rearview mirror again and saw the blur of his car as it sped up. I whispered a quiet “Thank you, Lord” and relaxed my hands on the wheel.

Then I prayed that God would guide him so he wouldn’t hurt anyone, himself included. I did ask the Lord to maybe give him a little scare, a reminder to drive more safely. Nothing major, just something to frighten him enough to be a more cautious driver.

Do you ever feel like you’re being dogged, followed too closely by circumstances and people in your life? Maybe you have no breathing room from your spouse or your kids or friends. Everyone wants a piece of you. You are interrupted during your morning devotions, although kindly, by your spouse chatting, or a phone call from a child who needs advice. You feel as if you’re always watching your back; you check the caller I.D. before answering the phone. It’s your dearest friend, your sister in Christ. You decide to call her back, later. She doesn’t leave a message, so you wonder, and worry. Does she have an emergency, or does she just want to chat?

Guilt takes over, and you close your book of devotions setting it and your Bible aside. You pour another cup of decaf Hazelnut coffee, stir in a lot of cream and dial.

Thank heavens she just wanted to chat, to share a small victory she had with a child in her Sunday School class. It really was a cute moment for her, and you laugh together.

You close your eyes and thank the good Lord you have such a dear friend. You feel blessed. Tomorrow you vow you will call her, just for no reason at all. Just to chat.

Prayer:Thank you, Lord, for special friends, for godly sisters. Help me to appreciate my friends more and be there for their needs, their trials and their triumphs. Make me a better friend, a friend who is sensitive and caring and who is willing to take time from a busy day to listen.


About Bonnie:

Bonnie Engstrom and her psychologist husband, Dave, live in Arizona near four of their six grandchildren. The other two live in Costa Rica where they surf. But, they share their Arizona home with Lola and Sam, their two rescued mutts in charge of the household.

She used to bake dozens of Christmas cookies in November and freeze them so she would have a lot to pass out to neighbors. Now … well, that was a long time ago. Instead of cookies for Christmas, she writes. Her Candy Cane stories set in Newport Beach, California, where her family was raised and where they have many fond memories, are perfect for gift giving. Or, for just cuddling up by the fire for an inspiring romance read.

Learn more about Bonnie and her books HERE

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Bonnie, for sending this lovely devotional to me -- I appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete