Friday, November 24, 2017

Chores ♦ Devotional ♦ Jenny Harrison

Chores

devotional by Jenny Harrison

"Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth." Hosea 6:3 [NIV



What household chores do you put off? For me, it’s dusting. No doubt, it’s my least favorite part of cleaning.  Even when I can write my name in the furniture and sneeze upon entering a given room, I still put the dreaded deed off and choose other chores or online shopping. Eventually, I do dust and wonder why I didn’t sooner. The air is clearer, and my home looks so much better.

Similarly, quiet times are sometimes a struggle. I need time with God even more than my house needs dusting but when I sit down to read, my mind is distracted. Sometimes, I give up and move on to something else. Yet, God speaks to me when I read His Word. It’s as if He’s saying, “I know what you’re going through” and “I’ll never turn you away”. When Scripture speaks to me, I should wonder why I didn’t make time for Him sooner.

Is this scenario familiar to you? If so, how might we encourage one another to press on in Him?

How can we motivate each other to spend time with Him first?

Dear God, thank You that You don’t hold our propensity for distraction against us, and speak to us anyway. Thank You for this grace. In Jesus’ name. Amen.



Jenny Harrison is an administrative professional who writes in her spare time. She has a desire to bring hope and encouragement to readers through devotionals, articles, and Christian fiction.





6 comments:

  1. I don't mind dusting. It's the vacuuming that I can't do anymore, due to neck arthritis. But, I am thankful to be able to work on small chores, one at a time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Melissa, welcome to Whispers in Purple blog. Thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment for Jenny. I'm with you on the vacuuming. It's very hard on my back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, thanks for being my guest this week. I love your thoughts on this. Like Melissa, I do put off vacuuming. I have an upright, and while it works well, I sometimes wish I'd bought a canister instead. Yes, wrestling with the hose is sometimes a bother, it's that same hose that would allow me to use all the attachments to get in all those cracks, nooks, and crannies the upright can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for your replies. How about I'll do your vacuuming if you do my dusting? Then, we can sit down and read Scripture together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wish! Thanks for being my guest this week, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete