Friday, September 14, 2018

Turbulent Times ~ Joi Copeland

God's Beauty - Picture provided by Joi

Turbulent Times
A Devotional from Joi Copeland

Flying. There are some people who really enjoy the flying experience. They seem to feel at ease in the sky. They seem to like the thrill of defying gravity. Oh, and getting from one place to another in hours instead of months is always a draw to flying, right?

Not this gal. No, ma’am. I do not like flying. Sure, I like the taking off and the landing portion of flying. But being in the air? Uh-uh. Nope. Not me. It’s unsettling for me to be so high in the air with no place to go if something were to happen. I’m not too keen on the idea of having to use my pressure mask or flotation device.

Yet, the life of a missionary requires me to fly. We have to travel from state to state, giving our presentation, sharing with churches and pastors. And when God says it’s time, we have to fly to Ireland and begin our ministry. It’s par for the course. It’s part of the job.

Just last week, we were in Portland, Maine. We then traveled to Vermont by car since it isn’t too far to drive. Then we headed back to Maine to fly home to Denver, Colorado. To say our flights were turbulent free would be a lie. Especially our flight from Baltimore.

We were sitting on the plane before taking off when the pilot came out to suggest we use the bathroom now since we were going to experience pretty heavy turbulence, and he wasn’t going to let the flight attendants up during time either.

Um, what? Say again? Turbulence. I despise turbulence. And here the pilot was telling us we were going to experience a lot of it. I wanted nothing more than to jump out of my seat, grab my luggage, and take a train home. That was my thought.

But that’s not what happened. I stayed on the plane, we took off, we were rerouted and still had turbulence.  I spent a lot of time in prayer on that flight. Who am I kidding? On every flight.  

Philippians 4:6-7 [NKJV] states “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” 

I spent a lot of time in prayer, thanking God for the opportunity to be in Maine and Vermont, asking Him to change my heart in regards to flying. I asked God for peace, His peace, no matter what happened.

And I saw beauty on that flight. I looked through the window and saw God’s creation. It was amazing! I was reminded that yes, in life, I will have turbulence. 

John 16:33 [NKJV] “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”


Jesus has overcome the world. Isn’t that great news? No matter what turbulence comes your way, rest in the fact that Jesus has overcome the world

Joi Copeland is married to a wonderful man, Chris, and has three amazing boys, Garrison, Gage, and Gavin. She lives in Denver, Colorado, but within the year, hopes to be living in Galway, Ireland.

Joi’s love of writing began at a young age. She wrote short stories for several years, and in 2009, she began writing her first novel, Hope for Tomorrow.
Joi’s books include:

Hope for Tomorrow, book 1
Hope for the Journey, book 2
Hope from the Past, book 3,

Letters of Love

Maine Series:
Christmas Snowe and Peppermint Cocoa, a novella
Shamrock Inn, a novella
Chance in Maine
Fall N Joy

Seasons of Love Series:
Christmas Rayne
Sunshine in Spring

Broken Together

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for providing this devotional article today, Joi. It's true, we all have turbulence in our lives at one time or another. Sometimes more than we think we can handle. But you're right ... we have a God who has overcome the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for having me, Peg!
    Joi

    ReplyDelete