Thursday, January 30, 2020

JARM DEL BOCCIO ~ THE HEART CHANGER ~ INTERVIEW


Interview with Jarm Del Boccio, author of . . .



 Hi, Jarm, it’s good to have you visiting Whispers in Purple again. We met you here in May of last year and learned about your historical Middle-Grade debut novel, The Heart Changer, about a young Israelite girl who is captured and forced to serve the wife of the commander of the Syrian army.  

Now we’re welcoming you back to answer a few interview questions. Thank you.

Of course we’d like to know how things are going with The Heart Changer in the intervening months. I did a quick check on Amazon and see that it has received a rating of 4.8 out of 5 in a total of 35 readers reviews That’s great!

Hi, Peg!
 Thanks for hosting me again. 

 So, what has your experience been since the book released?
Well, I’ve had many positive reviews, from kids and adults. In fact, I’m surprised adults enjoy the story as well, since The Heart Changer is a middle-grade historical fiction. Because I’m a former teacher and school librarian, I love to interact with my readers, but unfortunately, even though I worked hard last year to make connections, not many school visits or author events have opened up for me. It’s quite disappointing. I would love the opportunity to speak at any venue that is curious about an author’s life and the craft of writing. My frequent flyer miles are waiting in the wings!

Let’s talk about Jarm (the ‘J’ sounds like a ‘Y’) Del Boccio the person. What do you do just for you when you’re not writing?
I absolutely love to travel, and it’s my go-to for inspiration. Ideally, overseas travel is preferred. If it’s a new location — better yet! Recently, our financial situation has changed, so exploring the world is not possible at this point. But God was gracious to land me a travel blogging opportunity which forces me to visit various venues in my state of Illinois and share my finding with the readers. It’s not a paid position, but, I now have a reason to get out of the house!

Where would be your ideal writing space? Why?


My perfect writing space would be located in a small country village in Europe within walking distance of the town. I would write a bit, with the sound of birds and a flowing stream in the background, then take a walk in nature, write a bit more — well, you get the picture. The calm environment with no distractions would be ideal for my soul. I also have a fascination with tiny houses, so one located in a temperate climate in an out of the way place would suit me just fine. As long as I could get out into nature and walk, I’d be happy. But alas, it’s only a dream.


Ah, sounds lovely!  Describe your present ‘office.’ What--if anything--would you change?


 I must say, my present writing environment is inviting and peaceful as well. It’s on the second floor of our home, in an open area outside our bedroom. I refer to it as “my Victorian sitting room” suggested by the wallpaper and furniture. I sit in a winged-back chair with a cup of white peony tea and a salt crystal candle on the table beside me, surrounded by books, papers and various projects. Attached to a stand is my iPad, which is what I use exclusively to write — including a 50,000 word middle-grade novel! I can’t read my writing anyway, so it would be double the work to compose with a pen.


What sparks your creativity when you’re feeling drained?
 If I can’t travel, watching a mystery at the end of a productive day is a relaxing treat for me, and a way to connect with my hubby. My favorites are Poirot, Father Brown, and Endeavor. I love to ferret out the culprit along with the detectives!

Just for fun . . . if you were an animal, what would you be, and why?
Hmmmm. . . good question. For sure, I’d want to be a fast-moving creature, since I love to be on the go. Maybe a wild horse, peregrine falcon or maybe a songbird, since I love to sing.

What a fascinating answer! Good choice about the wild horse -- Love it!

Coffee or tea?
Definitely tea — white peony. Recently, I’ve discovered matcha lattes with homemade coconut milk and maple syrup.

I'm a coffee hound, myself. Never heard of white peony tea. Sounds interesting.

Finally, what’s next for Jarm Del Boccio?
My word for this year is CONTENTMENT. I want to be content as an author with what God brings or doesn’t bring my way. So, while I patiently wait for opportunities to connect with my readers, I will fine tune my craft, submit to agents and editors, connect with fellow writers on social media and at conferences, and look for ways to encourage my readers with blogposts and newsletters.


Thanks so much for sharing your time with us, Jarm. It’s been fun getting to know you a little more. God bless you as you write for Him.

You are welcome, Peg!


Jarm finds her inspiration in everyday life, but in particular, when she travels the globe, observing the quirky things that happen along the way. You can learn about those experiences in her blog, Making the Write Connections, or connect with her on Twitter, Goodreads, Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.


1 comment:

  1. Jarm, it was so nice to visit with you again. Thanks for sharing more about yourself. God bless . . .

    ReplyDelete