Wednesday, February 19, 2020

ALLISON WELLS ~ WHEN WAVES BREAK ~ INTERVIEW


Hello, Whispers in Purple readers.
Please welcome author Allison Wells for a fun interview and spotlight on a brand, spanking-new novel.
So sit back with a hot cup of coffee—or whatever—and enjoy.

Welcome, Allison. Thanks for granting us this interview. Let's get started.

How do you go about finding names for your characters?
I am a HUGE name nerd. I adore names, symbolism and meaning behind names, and just the sound of names. So when it comes to the characters in When Waves Break, I wanted names that were distinct. When dealing with twins, especially twins born in the late 1940s when matchy names were very much en vogue, but I wanted to get away from that.

Eve is the older of the twins, and the Biblical Eve is the first woman, so that’s why I chose the name for her. The name means to breathe or live, and Eve has need to take a lot of big breaths in this book - she’s in for a roller-coaster.

Juliette is the younger twin, and she’s the one who has it in her head that the free love movement is the way to go, though it conflicts with her Christian upbringing. Of course, we are all familiar with Romeo and Juliet, and that romantic background is why I chose this name for her.

What is your most difficult writing obstacle, and how did/do you overcome it?
My biggest obstacle, I think this is true for most writers, is time. I have four very active children, so finding the time to sit down and focus on the story before me is hard. Not only from the standpoint of distraction but the ability to actually be in front of my computer. I think I spend ⅓ watch my children participate in their respective sports and activities.of my life in the car! Of course, my kids and husband come first, so they are a welcome diversion, but that is certainly my biggest obstacle.

Besides writing, what other hobbies do you enjoy?
Well, I love to read! Who doesn’t? I also enjoy baking, it’s a great way to spread love. Bible study groups are a wonderful way to enjoy fellowship and dig into the Word, so I relish my time in my group. I also love to

When reading, what is your favorite genre?
I think Christian romance is my favorite, but I will read just about any fiction. I really love Steampunk and wish there were more Christian books in that genre. I wish I could write it - but alas, it is not my forte. I will read most any fiction, especially if it has a strong female lead.

Is research something you enjoy? To what extent do you go to find answers?
I love to do research. I think you have to love it if you’re a writer. I find myself looking up the strangest things. For When Waves Break, I was trying to figure out how someone would do a pregnancy test in the late 1960s. This was before at-home tests, and I discovered they would use rabbits, and if the rabbit died, the woman was pregnant! What a shock. I’ve also researched how refrigeration worked at the time of a book, when a variety of things were invented, and the common slang of the time.


Now let’s talk some about the book we're spotlighting. Give us:
Title: When Waves Break
Author: Allison Wells
Publisher: Ambassador International
Release Date: Feb 18, 2020
Genre: Christian fiction
Series/Stand-Alone: It is a sequel, but you don’t have to read the first one to read this one.
Target Audience: Women 18+ (might not be suitable for young teens due to adult situations) 


Back cover blurb:

Set during a time of racial instability, When Waves Break sheds light on the equality and redemption we all have in Christ.

One summer, one night, one mistake, and everything changes for Eve and Juliette Nicholas.

For the Nicholas twins, life is just beginning, until one summer of misguided love forces the twins to doubt everything they've ever believed. Eve and Juliette are the daughters of a preacher, raised to hold love in high esteem, although they may disagree on how to share it. As high school graduation looms, they must question the cost of love, and what it may mean for their futures.

The summer of 1968 is one of change for both the Nicholas twins and the nation. With Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech fresh in everyone's minds, racial tensions are high and threaten to shake the very foundation that once held the twins together. Through it all, will the bond that Eve and Juliette share be broken? Can love truly endure all things? Or will their mistakes always haunt them?

What take-away value do you want readers to gain from your novel?
I really want the reader to know that no matter what happens in your life. what mistakes you might make, what trials may come your way, God loves you. And you can overcome anything as long as you have God in your heart.

What can we expect to see from you in the future?
Later this year I will have a new novel come out called Bell of the Night. This is a stand-alone book that takes an honest look at how a hard life doesn’t mean God has turned His back on you. Be looking for it in late summer/early fall!


About Allison:
Allison Wells is a graduate of Clemson University. She is a wife, mother of four blessings, and loyal friend. She became a believer at the age of sixteen and never looked back. Allison's motto is "Life is short, eat the Oreos."

Purchase Links for When Waves Break:


Where to find Allison “Out There”
·       Twitter & Instagram: @OrangeAlli


Thank you, Allison, for being my guest today.
May God continue to bless you write for Him.




4 comments:

  1. Hi, Allison, I so appreciate having you as my blog guest today. AND for agreeing to an interview answering questions about you, your writing, and your book. God's blessing on you as you write to His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peg here: The comment I deleted was from an unknown entity and contained nothing but out-and-out SP*M content. There have been several of this type recently and I've tried to keep on top of them. It is for this reason I am seriously considering all comments on moderation, requiring my approval before I allow them to go through.. Just a heads-up, dear readers. When--and if--I do this, I'll post a general announcement on the blog's main page.

    ReplyDelete