Friday, July 17, 2020

ALEXIS A. GORING ~ Conversations with God ~ Faithful Friday


Hi, all. It's Faithful Friday here on Whispers in Purple. Please welcome author Alexis A. Goring as she shares an adventure in traveling unfamiliar roads and encounters God in an most unusual way.

Conversations with God
A devotional by Alexis A. Goring

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
      Psalm 46:1 (KJV)


God taught me many life lessons when I moved from Maryland to Montana to take my first big break in Journalism almost a decade ago. One of those lessons was that even when He’s silent, He’s still there.

Allow me to explain …

One Friday afternoon, I was driving my car down a gravel road, on assignment, trying to make it to a small town and back to my apartment before sundown.

I lived near the city in Maryland so I never actually had driven on a gravel road. Therefore, I didn’t realize that I couldn’t safely go the same speed on a gravel road than I could on a paved road. I think you know where this story is going … in a matter of minutes, my car fishtailed and spun around several times before crashing into a wire fence in the middle of nowhere!

Literally nowhere. To my left of the road was the wire fence that my car crashed into and to the right of the road was another wire fence that blocked off lines of farm property.

I got out of my car to survey the damage. The entire rear bumper was ripped off and it looked like my car had taken a beating. In addition to all of this, I realized that my car’s undercarriage was trapped because it was entwined with the wires from the fence. Clearly, I could not drive my car back onto the gravel road. It wouldn’t move! Surveying the damage, I just about lost it and I had a conversation with God. Just me, God, and the cows grazing on the farmland that was on the other side of the road.

My conversation was clearly one-sided and it went something like this:
What are You doing? How am I going to pay for this? You know that most of my paycheck goes to rent, bills and food! I have no more money! What am I going to do? Where are You?!

In the middle of my venting session, I paused as my gaze lowered from looking up at the sky (because God is beyond the heavens), to looking at a cow. To this day I remember that cow because he was the only cow whose coat was all black. All of the other cows were eating grass farther away on the right side of the fence, and they all were white and brown in color. But this cow, as beautiful and sleek as a black stallion, was positioned directly across from me. It stood by silently like a faithful friend, pressing close behind that fence, looking at me with pools of sympathy and empathy in its expressive round and dark eyes.

For a moment, I paused, completely awestruck. I’ve never seen an animal look at me like that, it was as if he knew what I was going through and somehow he wanted to comfort me.

But that moment was gone as quickly as it had come and I returned to my conversation with God. I flailed my arms and shouted at the sky, “Great! How is a COW going to HELP ME?!”

I reached for my phone to call the police so that I could report the accident and call a tow truck. But when I tried to dial a number, I noticed that there was no signal! I panicked, realizing that I was still in the middle of nowhere and it was only two hours before sunset. I did not want to be stranded at night!

Once again, I turned to God. This time, my conversation was more panicked. I asked God, “Are you just going to leave me here?”

Suddenly, an alternative form of communication dawned on me: I could try using my email on my phone to dial the newspaper office and tell my office manager to send the police and a tow truck. So I did then I waited. While I was waiting, a kind, older gentleman arrived in a pickup truck. He just “happened” to be a plumber (looking back, I wonder if he was an angel sent by God but at that time, I was too distressed to consider that possibility).

I watched as he took his tool kit out of his car and slid beneath my car like a natural mechanic and used tools from his kit to untangle my car from the wire fence. Then, at my request, he sat behind the wheel and maneuvered my car back onto the gravel road.

I thanked him then got into my car and started driving back toward where I lived. My plan was to drive straight to my apartment but as I was driving, I heard disturbing noises that I later learned indicated that I had a flat tire. I knew it wouldn’t be safe for me to drive all the way back to my apartment, which was an hour away, with my car in its battered condition.

When I spotted a restaurant (also in the middle of nowhere) about ten minutes later, I pulled into the parking lot, got out of my car, walked into the restaurant where the aroma of delicious food wafted to my nose, and I asked to use their telephone. It was there, while I was on the phone reporting my accident to the agent from GEICO car insurance that God spoke to me.

The female agent paused in her work to gather data about my accident and told me that she had to be silent for a few moments while she processed my claim but she wanted me to know that she’s “still here.”

And that was when the floodgates that I’d been holding back burst. I started crying. Not hysterically but still, openly crying. I’d kept it all together around other people until that point. God spoke to me. He helped me realize through that agent’s words spoken in the softest, kindest, most reassuring tone that HE was still there with me. And He’s never leaving my side. Even when I railed at Him in the middle of nowhere after my car crashed. Even when I doubted Him to take care of my financial needs which now included trying to figure out how to repair my totaled car.

Longer story short: I got it together, hung up the phone, met with the police and then a truck driver drove me home. Gratefully, God did not allow me to be hurt in that car accident. My car was totaled but I was not.

Thankfully, God never left my side. Even when I couldn’t feel His Presence, He showed up for me through that black cow, the patient plumber, and the kindhearted agent from GEICO.

I am sharing this story with you to encourage you to not give up on God because He will never give up on you! He loves you with ALL of His Heart.

When you’re weary, allow Him to carry you (Isaiah 46:4). When you’re hurt, let Him heal you (Psalm 103:2-3). When you’re in distress, trust Him to rescue you
(Isaiah 43:1-2). May the Lord bless you and keep you (Numbers 6:24-26).

In closing, I’d like for you to listen to this song, “He’s Able” by Pastor Deitrick Haddon.

Remember, God will never leave you to face life by yourself (Matthew 28:20)!

  

Author Bio: Alexis A. Goring is a passionate writer with a degree in Print Journalism and an MFA in Creative Writing. She loves the art of storytelling and hopes that her stories will connect readers with the enduring, forever love of Jesus Christ.





9 comments:

  1. Your story captivated me from beginning to end. It was easy to "see" the action and your emotional state. Your take-away really fit well. An easy piece to read because it was so well written. Thanks for a reminder of God's presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cleo, thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed reading Alexis' post this week, too. I've driven on many a gravel road. It is easy to spin out if you're going too fast.

      Delete
    2. So happy to hear that my story captivated you and that my devotional reminded you of God's presence. He is always with us! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! We’ve all been stuck in the middle of nowhere at one time or another. Thank you for the reminder that God is always with us. The cow made me smile 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Victoria, thanks for visiting. I couldn't resist that black cow. It fit in so perfectly :=)

      Delete
    2. Hey friend! So happy to hear that you loved my devotional! :) Yes, God is always with us! :)

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! I love how God shows up in exactly when we need Him, whether through a cow, a plumber, or a telephone customer service rep! Thank you for your witness, Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jessica. I can just see Alexis out there on that lonely country road, car wrecked, being stared at by a black cow and wondering "What am I gonna do now, Lord?"

      Delete
    2. Hey, Jess! Thanks for your kind words about my devotional, friend! :) God bless you.

      Delete