Wednesday, September 2, 2020

KIMBERLY ROSE JOHNSON ~ The Sleuth's Surprise


It's What's New Wednesday with guest author Kimberly Rose Johnson and her new release
The Sleuth's Surprise

So sit back with your favorite beverage and enjoy!


I’m so excited to share about my new release The Sleuth’s Surprise. This is the fourth and final book in the Librarian Sleuth Series. Each of the books in the series stand alone, but it’s best to have read at least the first book to truly appreciate everything in the final book.

I’ve always wanted to write a story with characters that are a bit older, but I hesitated because I generally like to write about an age I’ve already experienced. That being said, I finally feel qualified to get into the head of older characters since I turn 50 at my next birthday.

Mary Daley is a character that I’ve enjoyed writing from the beginning of this series and knew she needed her own story. It was so much fun getting into this woman’s head to share her thoughts, rather than only showing what is on the surface like in the other books. Mary is a complicated woman!

Here’s the back cover description:
Mary Daley has been the sheriff of Tipton County for more than two decades, but someone wants her job. When it seems circumstances can’t get more complicated, a murder happens on her watch. Had she been the intended victim?
Deputy Chief Lyle Griffin only wants Mary to be happy, but when he asks her if she’d consider retiring, it sets off a string of events and emotions that muddy their friendship.  
Nancy Daley-Malone can’t believe anyone would run for sheriff against her mom. She is onboard to help run the best campaign Tipton County has ever seen until the sheriff’s opponent is murdered and Nancy’s husband joins the race. On top of that, it appears someone is out to kill her mother as well.
Can Nancy, along with the sheriff’s department, find the murderer before it’s too late? Will Lyle and Mary be able to admit their feelings for one another or will the status quo remain?
Here’s a short excerpt:
Still stunned that her position as sheriff was being challenged, Mary closed her eyes and took a cleansing breath. Lord, if you want me to stay on as sheriff, I’m going to need your help. Her phone rang. She checked the caller ID and sighed before answering and putting on her most chipper voice. “Good morning, Mayor Wallace.”
 “No need to be so formal, Mary. I’ve told you to call me Charlie at least a hundred times.”
 “And I’ve told you, I prefer to be addressed as Sheriff.”
 He cleared his throat. “About that. Have you read the morning paper?”
“I have. Thanks for the heads up.” Not.
 “It was a matter of public record. All you had to do was look to see who had filed.”
She rolled her eyes. She wasn’t in the mood to be talked down to. “Does he even have the right credentials? He’s a high school English teacher.”
 “Believe it or not, he does. Before Stan moved to Tipton, he was in law enforcement.”
 “How? He can’t be over thirty. He has a master’s in education, so how is it he had time to do both?”
 “Guess he’s an overachiever. I actually called to talk with you about the pie judging. You never said if you’re onboard or not.” “I’m looking forward to it.” Okay, so maybe that was a stretch, but she enjoyed pie. How much of a trial could it be?
 “That’s what I was hoping to hear.” He actually sounded gleeful.
 Mary narrowed her eyes. “You are way too happy about this. What’s gzoing on?”
 “I thought it’d be fun for the community to see you and Stan side-by-side at the fair.”


“Please tell me this is a joke.” It wasn’t that she minded sharing the job, it was the person she had to share it with that was the problem—her running mate.
 “Now, Mary.”
 “Sheriff.” She had no idea why it bothered her so much for him to use her given name, but it was like fingernails on a chalkboard on the annoyance level.
 “Sorry, Sheriff. This isn’t a joke. I realize Stan isn’t a celebrity, but he’s a popular teacher, and the high school students will eat this up. No pun intended.”
 “Then why not get another teacher to judge and leave me out of it?” She wanted to snatch the words back as soon as they popped out. She didn’t need her competition to have the upper hand in the eyes of the public.
 “That’s an option, but this would be much more interesting.”
 “Fine. Count me in.” She had a feeling she might regret agreeing to judge the pie-baking contest, but her instinct said it was the right thing to do.
 “Excellent.” Muffled voices sounded in the background on his end of the phone call. “I need to go. I’ll email you the specifics.


Award winning author Kimberly Rose Johnson married her college sweetheart and lives in the Pacific Northwest. From a young child Kimberly has been an avid reader. That love of reading fostered a creative mind and led to her passion for writing. She especially loves romance and writes contemporary romance and romantic mystery and suspense with a heart.

Kimberly holds a degree in Behavioral Science from Northwest University in Kirkland, Washington, and is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers.


Social media links:


3 comments:

  1. Kimberly, thank you so much for being my guest here today. I enjoyed reading about your new release. God bless you as you continue to write for Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy! If any of your readers are interested the first book in this series, The Sleuth's Miscalculation, is free until Sept. 5th. Here's the link to the series page https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJ89XDX/

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kim. READERS . . . since the reply option does not allow links to be "live" - just copy ans paste Kim's link above into your browser

      Delete