Thursday, September 17, 2020

LAURIE BATZEL ~ With My Soul ~ Historical Christian Romance

 

With my Soul, A Historical Christian Romance

by Laurie Batzel


 

Book Summary:

Betrayed by her husband, Willa Jane Wilson and her daughter are left penniless and alone in post-war Germany. She returns to her hometown in rural North Carolina and prays that a new beginning will soothe the anger still raging inside her heart. But no matter how many miles Willa Jane puts between her and her shame, the peace she seeks is drowned out by ignorance and abandonment.


Her saving grace comes in the form of a new opportunity that she can’t pass up. Tasked with caring for children at a local orphanage, she dedicates herself to transforming the financially-strapped institution into a real home filled with love and faith. But when her fundraising mission lands her in the middle of Raleigh’s glittering social scene, she encounters PJ Townshend, a handsome young lawyer with a dedication to service that matches her own. There’s only one problem: PJ is on track to change the country from its political epicenter—Washington D.C.—and the closer they grow to one another, the farther apart their worlds seem to be taking them.


When a natural disaster of Biblical proportions threatens to part them for good, it also puts the orphanage and everything Willa Jane has worked for in peril. An offer for help arrives from the most unexpected source. Accepting it will require forgiveness of the past…but it might also reunite her with the person her heart desires most.

 

Excerpt: Willa Jane at a dinner party.

 

“I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Harry S. Truman is going to send this country

to hell in a handbasket.”

 

“Harold—” his female counterpart interjected feebly to no avail.

 

“It’s true. Any real Democrat would be focusing on the needs of our own country, not shipping off more resources to the daggone Krauts that started the whole mess in the first place. I heard he’s got a whole commission working on a plan to rebuild Germany. They’ll spend millions of our taxpayer dollars on what? The war’s over, what else could the bastards possibly need?”

 

Maybe it was the second glass of champagne that had lowered my inhibitions enough

to insert myself in what was clearly none of my business, but no amount of coaching or fancy jewelry could contain my natural inclination.

 

“Actually, there’s a great deal of need, sir.”

 

He leant forward to glare past his shrinking wife at me.

 

“Young lady, you have no idea what you’re talking about.”

 

“I don’t mean to offend you, sir, but I know very well what I’m talking about. I’ve been to Germany and seen the devastation. There are entire city blocks that are nothing but rubble, children exposed and starving on the streets. If it weren’t for our assistance, there would be no shelter, no clean water. Most of these ordinary people have had their homes and businesses destroyed through no fault of their own. It’s not a waste of taxpayer dollars. It’s simple decency.”

 

No longer caring which fork was the assigned utensil, I snatched one up and started digging into my steak with defiance. The older man’s face turned splotchy and he narrowed his eyes at me from underneath gray caterpillar eyebrows.

 

“I have never in all my life heard such absolute rubbish. What are you, some sort of Nazi sympathizer?”

 

The meat stuck in my throat and I swallowed so hard it hurt. My big mouth might have just landed me on the fast track to an interview with the CIA. Then another voice interjected, one that seemed as familiar as if from a dream.

 

“The young lady is correct. The situation overseas is an unparalleled humanitarian crisis, significantly worse than the aftermath of the first Great War.” The rich voice went on. “The purpose of Truman’s commission and aid plan for Europe is to lessen the suffering which, twenty-odd years ago, allowed a madman like Hitler to come into power.”

 

I tried to spy through the petals to catch a glimpse of my impertinent new friend, but the foliage was too dense. Returning my focus to the steak, I had until they served coffee to stand up and either thank him for the defense or tell him off for assuming I was incapable of fighting my own battles. As the waiter took my empty plate, I was leaning toward the latter. This was 1947, and I was a full-grown, working woman who had travelled overseas and back on my own. Almost exactly two years ago, a certain man had come to my rescue and I’d fallen under the spell of his chauvinism disguised as chivalry. I wouldn’t be making that mistake again.

 

Building up a head full of steam, I stood up, rounded Harold and Co.’s empty chairs and began the impassioned defense I had been crafting between bites of Duchess potatoes.

 

“Listen, I appreciate what you were trying to do there, but what gives you the right to interrupt other people’s conversations? I was handling that ignorant old coot just fine, thank you very—”

 

My planned diatribe ground to a halt when I came face to face with my unsought defender. He was the owner of a handsome face that was as strangely familiar as the voice. Suddenly, I realized where I had seen it before.

~ ~ ~

 

Available in Print and in Ebook

FREE on Kindle Unlimited

Pick up your copy here;

 

About Laurie Batzel: 


Laurie Batzel is an author of contemporary and historical romance who lives in Northeastern Pennsylvania. With My Soul is her first published fiction. You can find her non-fiction essays on PopSugar.com, FilterFreeParents.com, and the print edition of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Angels All Around. When she’s not writing, reading, or continuing her quest to perfect her chocolate chip cookie recipe, Laurie can be found walking in
the woods outside her home with her four beautiful children and their devotedly vigilant corgi, Stuart. To read more of her ramblings on parenting, writing or random song parodies, go to her blog at rebacanyouhearme.wordpress.com

 Connect with Laurie: 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment