Thursday, November 9, 2017

Delving into the Realities of College Life with Nike Chillemi

Delving into the Realities of College Life, a Story Behind the Story post 

by author Nike Chillemi
Columbia University image by Pixabay
When I started out writing my first Christian New Adult Romantic Suspense, what didn't I know about college life today? Everything, it seems. Oh, there was one thing I did know that still held true. College cafeteria food remains ultra-horrible. Kids usually stick to the one or two menu items that are pretty good, like hamburgers, hot dogs, chili, and make-your-own-salad.

Other than that, I was at a loss. This is a generation that lives in and by their smart phones. I have a dumb phone and use it basically for making calls. Oh, dear, I was in trouble at the very start.

I had to give myself a stiff shake and remind myself I am a writer. There is such a thing as research. Much of what I found (but not all) was disheartening. It seems college students are woefully ill prepared socially, and college professors lament they lack common sense. Umm, that sounds about where I was at right out of high school when I went to college.

I came across articles written by 20-somethings complaining how today's movies misrepresent college. One young writer said these films had her "stoked" that she was going to have the best time ever in college. These films made it seem as if college was all about partying, making lifelong BFFs, and once-in-a-while going to classes.

So, in THAT SPECIAL ONE, I tried to present a more realistic picture of college…even as I wrote in deep conflict and a very, very low point for the heroine. I brought in the need for friendships in college and tried to show the difference between healthy friendships and unhealthy ones. I also gave my heroine and hero jobs while they were in school because college isn't a no care in the world place. I tried, and hopefully succeeded, to present a relevant picture of college life, while presenting a thrilling story.


About Nike:

Like so many writers, Nike Chillemi started at a very young age. Her first major work was a Crayola, fully illustrated book she penned as a little girl (colored might be more accurate) about her then off-the-chart love of horses. Today, you might call her a crime fictionista with a humorous side. Her passion is crime fiction. She likes her bad guys really bad and her good guys smarter and better.
Nike is the founding board member of the Grace Awards and its Chair, a reader's choice awards for excellence in Christian fiction. She has been a judge in the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016 Carol Awards in the suspense, mystery, and romantic suspense categories; and an Inspy Awards 2010 judge in the Suspense/Thriller/Mystery category. Her four novel Sanctuary Point series (out of print), set in the mid-1940s has finaled, won an award, and garnered critical acclaim. The first novel in the Veronica "Ronnie" Ingels/Dawson Hughes series HARMRUL INTENT won in the Grace Awards 2014 Mystery/Romantic Suspense/Thriller/Historical Suspense category. She has writte book reviews for The Christian Pulse online magazine. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and John 3:16 Marketing Network.  http://nikechillemi.wordpress.com/

Purchase Link:

Social Networking:

Twitter: @NikeNChillemi

No comments:

Post a Comment