Thursday, September 8, 2016

GAME ON—Where Do All Those Ideas Come From?

GAME ON—Where Do All Those Ideas Come From?

by Lillian Duncan 

One of the questions I get asked often is how do I come up with my story ideas. My answer is usually the same. From all sorts of places.

Sometimes, I come up with a premise, such as what would happen if a big city lawyer fell in love with a farmer? (Pursued)

Sometimes a scene just pops in my head from nowhere. Like when a woman receives a phone call from a young girl asking for her aunt and she knows it can’t be for her because she doesn’t have a niece. Or does she? (Deception)

Sometimes a story comes about because of characters from another story. Both Betrayed and Redemption happened because I wanted to know what happened after Deception.

My Deadly Communications series happened when my writing life crashed into my other life as a speech pathologist. The series features a speech pathologist who gets way too involved with her clients!

So, like I said my story ideas can come from anywhere at any time. GAME ON is no exception. I got it from watching a TV talk show of all things. Of course, all I got from the show was a germ of an idea.

After that it’s all about the work. First comes the idea and then comes the work. One of the things I do is ask myself a lot of questions as I begin a new story. In Game On, I knew I wanted the two characters to have a past with each other.

Then I had to ask myself questions why it hadn’t worked out with them back then and why it wouldn’t work out now.

That’s how I came up with the fact he was rich (still is) and she was poor (not as much).. Never a good start to a relationship. And as we all know the rich parents had to get involved because they didn’t want their son to get involved with that girl from the other side of the tracks.

But so what? Time has a way of making all that less important. So, then I had to come up with a secret that would come between them. And I did! And it’s a BIGGIE!

Then there was the obstacle of “real life.” He’s a politician who golfs with the president and she’s a private investigator who likes to wear jeans.

After that it’s time to sit down at the computer and see what happens!


I really had fun writing this one! 

♦ ♦ ♦

BLURB for GAME ON

Politics is no game when a stalker nears and there’s nowhere to hide.

A run for the senate is just a step on the road to the White House for Congressman Lucas McMann. But his public profile has put him in the middle of a crazed gunman’s twisted game of stalking. If he wants to win the election and reclaim his life, he’ll need the help of the one person who’d rather leave their past behind them.

Private Investigator Nikki Kent knows how to dig up secrets and discover those who exist in the shadows. She should. She’s good at hiding secrets of her own. Can she risk her own discovery for someone so desperate for her help? For the first man who broke her heart?

With new-found faith, she’ll help Lucas search for the answers. But with the truth comes a danger they must face together.

Check out the book trailer video for GAME ON at  https://youtu.be/t6MK2UGB1P0

♦ ♦ ♦

GIVEAWAY:

To celebrate the release of GAME ON, I’m giving away a virtual basket of goodies at www.lillian-duncan.com including Amazon gift cards. For all the details go to my blog, Tiaras & Tennis Shoes. Simply leave a comment on the blog post GAME ON at www.lillian-duncan.com and you’ll be entered. Be sure to tell me what blog you read about my new book on. Thanks!  

♦ ♦ ♦

ABOUT LILLIAN:

Lillian Duncan…Stories of faith mingled… with murder & mayhem.

Lillian is a multi-published author who lives in Ohio Amish country with her husband. After more than 30 years working as a speech pathologist for children, she believes in the power of words to transform lives, especially God’s Word.

Lillian writes the types of books she loves to read—fast-paced suspense and mystery with a touch of romance that demonstrates God’s love for all of us. To learn more about Lillian, you may visit her at www.lillianduncan.net or www.lillian-duncan.com. She also has a devotional blog at www.PowerUpWithGod.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much, Lillian, for being my guest here today. It always amazes me that some ideas can come from some of the most unlikely sources.
    Keep on writing those great books!

    ReplyDelete