Friday, July 19, 2019

The Wait is Over ~ Alexis A. Goring ~ Faithful Friday


The Wait is Over
 A devotional by Alexis A. Goring
 

 “But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
      Isaiah 40:31 [NKJV]

Almost one year ago (August 24, 2018 to be exact), I wrote this post (“God’s Waiting Room”) that was published here on Peg’s Whispers in Purple blog and today, I’m here to tell you that as of this month (July 2019), the wait is over! God provided me with a new, full-time job in Journalism!

I’ve been through a season of waiting for my creative career dreams to come true ever since graduating from college. Since then, God has taken me on a journey of detours.

During those detours, I often asked God “Why do I have to do this?” and “When will my dreams come true?”

Looking back, I see how much God enriched my life through those detours. He gave me the opportunity to work with children from grades Pre-K through 12th grade. He built my business skills through seasonal employment in retail working for companies like Pottery Barn Kids, Williams-Sonoma, and Macy’s. And He gave me the time to rest and make new friends in various career fields. One of my ministry friends told me during my waiting season that I have “the gift of time and friendship.”

I realize now just how many beautiful blessings God gave to me that were not work-related but more for my personal growth. Blessings that made me feel loved and purposeful, showing me that my life had more meaning to it than just going to work and climbing the career ladder.

If you want to read more about how God made a miracle by blessing me with my new dream job in Journalism, visit this post that I wrote on my “God is Love” blog this July 11. Here’s the link to “Thankful Thursdays: Answered prayers after years of waiting on God.”

If you revisit my guest post “God’s Waiting Room” on Peg’s blog, you’ll see that despite my not understanding what God was doing with my life as I waited on Him to make my creative career dreams come true, I chose to trust Him. I chose to continue believing that He has good plans for my life (Jeremiah 29:11). I chose to keep praying to Him every day and night. I chose to encourage myself through Bible study and listening to Contemporary Christian and Gospel music. I chose to keep asking the prayer warriors in my life (my family, friends and pastors) to pray for me. And ultimately, I chose to never give up.

Now, I do realize that this could have turned out another way. God could have chosen to not grant me the desires of my heart. He could have chosen to not give me a dream job in Journalism, which is what I earned my degree in, and I was prepared for that (often, I told God that anything He wants me to do, I will do it because He knows me better than I know myself).

But God is a good God (Psalm 34:8) and He likes to give good gifts to His children (Matthew 7:11)! Yes, He may take you on detours. No, your original dreams many not come true. But you can trust that whatever He has planned for you (Jeremiah 29:11) is good, amazing and will help you feel like your life has purpose.

So as I close this devotional, I want to encourage you to continue trusting God. Continue seeking Him. While you’re in one of His waiting rooms, ask Him how to, as my friend Quantrilla told me, “honor Him in the wait.” If He gives you the “gift of time and friendship” (as my friend Holly told me), then deeply inhale those precious blessings! If He chooses to take you through trials and tribulations while you wait, keep pressing into Him and trusting that He’ll never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)…and when He blesses you with your wildest dreams or more than you could imagine, always remember Him as you live out your God-given destiny!

Stay the course, dear friends. God loves you too much to let you go!


Alexis A. Goring is a passionate writer with a degree in Print Journalism and an MFA in Creative Writing. She loves the art of storytelling and hopes that her stories will connect readers with the enduring, forever love of Jesus Christ.

 

1 comment:

  1. Another great devotional, Alexis. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and thoughts.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete