Friday, October 4, 2019

Our Greatest Resource ~ Alexis A. Goring ~ Devotional


Our Greatest Resource
A devotional by Alexis A. Goring
 
“You know how to reach me.”

These are the words spoken to me by one of my close friends when I called her in distress but could not put my emotional pain into words.

After two minutes of pauses between starts of sentences and barely-there words on my end of the phone line, that is what she told me before we both hung up the phone.

It comforted my heart to know that she left the door to her support open for me, as she understood that I was not ready to talk about my troubles. It was helpful to know that when I am ready to talk, she will be there.

Thinking back on this experience, a spiritual parallel formed in my mind.

I realized that though this dear friend of mine tried her best to be there for me in my distress, I serve a God who is always there for you and I in our troubling times.

And unlike our family and friends who we may turn to for help, His resources to help us are unlimited! He never sleeps and He is always ready to rescue us. There may be times when we cannot reach our loved ones or a professional for help but we can always reach God! He is with us anywhere we go (Joshua 1:9). We are never hidden from Him (Hebrews 4:13). He knows all and sees all (Psalm 139). God cares about everything that affects us (Psalm 37:23) and He has all of the resources we need (Philippians 4:19).

The Bible and several gospel music songs say that our God is the “Balm in Gilead” that is “healing for the soul.” Listen to the song “
Healing” by Richard Smallwood and his choir as they sing about this great balm that only God can give to us.

God understands the cries of our hearts. Not only does He know what we want to say but are struggling to speak it, He answers us before we call (Isaiah 65:24). What a mighty God we serve!

I love God’s Heart of compassion and the way that He loves us unconditionally. I am forever grateful that He is always open to being there for us. The Bible says that He has promised to be with us until the “end of the age” (Matthew 28:20) otherwise known as “the end of the world.”

I would like to encourage you to run to Jesus Christ (God’s Son) when you cannot find the words to say. Go to God when you need help or comfort. Yes, still reach out to the people who God has placed in your life to help you. But never neglect your greatest resource (God). He is waiting for you with open arms.

Now the question is, “How can you reach God?”

The answer is simple: Open The Holy Bible and ask God to send His Holy Spirit to guide you as you read. Before you read a word, ask God for understanding and spiritual discernment. Then listen as God speaks to you through His written word. And always pray! Prayer is like talking to a friend because God wants to be your friend (John 15:15). Just remember to be respectful, because He is King of the Universe and He is Holy. But don’t be afraid to tell Him what is on your heart. God can handle your honesty. Then trust Him to answer all of your prayers according to His will and in His perfect time.

Finally, dear friends, never give up on God because He will not give up on you!

God loves you with all of His Heart. And just like my dear sister friend told me that I “know how to reach” her, you “know how to reach” God! So don’t despair when you are troubled; go to your greatest resource (God). He understands what you are trying to say even when you cannot find the words to say it. And only He can truly comfort and heal your heart.

Be encouraged, dear friends. God’s Love for you will never end. I cannot say it enough: Go to God. He is your greatest resource!

God bless you.

Love,

Alexis


 About Alexis: Alexis A. Goring is a passionate writer with a degree in Print Journalism and an MFA in Creative Writing. She loves the art of storytelling and hopes that her stories will connect readers with the enduring, forever love of Jesus Christ.


16 comments:

  1. This was beautiful, Alexis! So good to know our God is always there, His healing hand is always extended to us, and He never fails! Thank you for sharing this! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Unknown, for visiting and leaving a comment for Alexis.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words! Yes, it is SO good to know that GOD is ALWAYS there for us! Have you heard the song "He's Always There" by CeCe Winans? You can look it up on YouTube. It's beautiful. God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Alexis, thank you for inspiring and encouraging me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melissa, thanks so much for dropping in. Blessings...

      Delete
    2. Dear Melissa: I am so happy that God used me to inspire and encourage you! :) Praise the Lord!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed having you share these words with us, Alexis. Thanks, and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I enjoyed being your guest! :) Thanks for hosting me on your blog, Peggy! God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Alexis for a great devotion with truths we can hold close and use. I heard yesterday from a person advising screaming when you get frustrated. I've known psychologists who recommend that, but it believe it makes matters worse. I've been going to the Lord with my troubles, fears and anxieties since I was a kid. I knew Jesus loved me and had a plan for my life. So I knew He would help me when I desperately needed someone who would understand and help me. Jesus is always just a prayer away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Ada! Though I think screaming & letting it all out where no one but me and the Lord can hear (or maybe my little constant companion border collie) can be cathartic. Sometimes I even open a blank document on my computer and just start letting my fingers fly across the keyboard without thought or pattern can do the same thing. It just feels good to let go.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Ada! I am happy that you enjoyed reading my devotional! :) Screaming in frustration takes A LOT of energy out of you. I think I agree with you that it makes matters worse but sometimes it's necessary to help heal. So glad that you've always gone to God with everything that's on your heart. That's a good practice! :) God bless you, friend.

      Delete
  5. I loved this, Alexis. Thank you!! And Peggy, thanks for hosting this amazing woman of God on your blog. One of my greatest comforts is knowing God is always there for us, even when we don't have the words. He knows our heart. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica, thank YOU for stopping by this morning. There's a meme I see often on Facebook with someone kneeling at the side of the bed, hands folded in prayer, and flow of alphabet letters rising from the person's head to the ceiling. No words written...just the letters going up to God. The implication is clear: He know our heart even though we can't articulate them.

      Delete
    2. So happy that you loved my devotional, Jess! Thanks for your kind words. Love you too, friend!

      Delete
  6. Insightful, enduring and powerful words of encouragement! Often people are discouraged when waiting to hear from God. He’s still present and always comes on time to meet us at our point of need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Reginald, for visiting and leaving a comment for Alexis. Blessings...

      Delete