Friday, May 29, 2020

OUT OF THE FOG ~ Leslie L. McKee ~ Devotional ~ Faithful Friday

Image courtest Pixabay.com

Out of the Fog
A devotional By Leslie L. McKee

“And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”
Eph. 3:17-19 (NIV)

I woke up this morning to find a “fog alert” on my phone. Sure enough, when I looked out the window, I couldn’t see beyond the edge of my front porch. It reminded me of years ago when I used to work downtown in a large city.

I loved seeing the skyline as I approached the city by bus. I had to walk a number of blocks to get from the bus stop to my office building. I’m barely over 5 feet tall, and I was always in awe of the buildings around me. Their height was impressive. I enjoyed seeing them rise up into the sky before seemingly disappearing into the clouds. Some of the buildings had very distinct architecture, which I found helpful. I’m quite directionally challenged, so I would navigate with the assistance of some of the buildings. If I could see them in the distance, I knew I was headed in the right direction.
On foggy days, however, it was another story. The magnificent skyline changed. Sure, I logically knew the buildings were still there, but the view was totally different. Instead of looming, they now appeared short and cut off. Their benefit in my navigation suddenly disappeared. Things felt unfamiliar, and perhaps a bit scary, as I was now left to figure out the direction I needed to go by other means. I felt lost, even though I was in a place I had been in time and time again for over a year.
This challenge to navigate is somewhat similar to some people’s spiritual journeys.
1 Peter 2:25 states, “Once you were like sheep who wandered away.”
Without a shepherd leading the way, it’s easy for sheep to get lost. The same can be said of humans, as well. Just as I used those buildings to navigate, Christ-followers rely on their Shepherd to lead the way … and to help them find their way when they wander or get lost.
We may not always know which way to go or what step to take next … but the Lord does. His love, grace, and strength (and so much more!) are always available to us. He will provide clarity when we’re confused, peace when we’re anxious, and guidance when we feel lost.
He is with us … always … no matter how many foggy days we encounter along the way.

Dear Lord, thank You for your clarity, guidance, and love, which is deeper and wider and greater than anything we could ever encounter.

Author Leslie L. McKee

2 comments: