Friday, June 19, 2020

FINDING REST ~ Leslie L. McKee ~ Devotional ~ Faithful Friday



Image courtesy Pixabay.com
Finding Rest
By Leslie L. McKee

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”


Matthew 11:28-30

This verse paints such a vivid picture. And it is one that I am very familiar with. Perhaps you are, too.
I battle chronic illness and chronic pain on a daily basis. I know all too well how it feels to be weary, overburdened, and in need of rest. My mind and body are not always in sync, and it is a struggle on some days to do the simplest of tasks. And if I am dealing with increased stress or anxiety, my situation can go from bad to worse quite quickly.
Jesus understood what I’m going through. He understands what you may be going through, as well. And He wants to take on those burdens and, in return, He offers peace and rest.
True peace and rest only come through Jesus. We can try to achieve them on our own, but they tend to be just beyond our reach. There are some things we are unable to do on our own, and this is one of those situations.
Life is full of trials, and it can be exhausting. The good news is that we weren’t created to do things on our own. Today’s verse is a reminder of that.
Jesus puts out a call to those who are weary. He offers up his yoke, which is light, for our heavy one. In Jesus’s time, His teachings were in stark contrast to other leaders. Jesus invited others to learn from Him. His message was one of weakness and humility, as well as a submission to God, the Father. Jesus asks the same of us today. He asks us to trust.
How do you become qualified for this peace and rest that Jesus is offering? In short, we need to be weak and trust in Him. We don’t need to feel discouraged about illness and pain or feel like they are holding us back from what the Lord has planned for our lives. This is the pathway to true rest. So embrace those areas you view as weaknesses, and turn them over to Jesus.
Lord, thank you that I do not have to be perfect. You can and will use my weaknesses for your perfect plan for my life. Amen.

Leslie L. McKee





2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for being my guest here today, Leslie. That Bible verse is a comforting one, in't it? Thans for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Peggy. Thanks for having me here.

      Yes, it really is a comfort. I've been using it a lot over the past few months.

      Delete