Sunday, October 25, 2015

Who is James R. Callan? An Interview

Hi, Jim, welcome to my Whispers in Purple blog. It seems I’m in an interrogative mood–which explains the title of this post–so I have a handful of questions for you. Hope you’re ready! Smile

 

: What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?

I thank the Lord for another day, then jump up and head for a glass of high-pulp orange juice.

: What do you put off doing because you dread it?

: Marketing. I'd rather mow the grass than market. But, marketing seems to be a necessary evil, so I do manage to do some of it. Not enough, I fear.

: If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

: That's a tough one. One thing? Hmmm. I like to finish things. There's a bit of euphoria when a task is completed. So, when I have a non-writing task that can be completed in a day, and a book that will take months, I tend to do the nice, short task and feel that sense of accomplishment. But you know the problem with that. One of those shorter tasks pops up every day. So, writing gets pushed back and back.

: What is your ‘typical’ day like?

: The morning is typically taken up with things around the house or property. We have some acreage so there is always something that needs attention. The afternoon, which may start late depending on the property tasks, will cover e-mails, some marketing, and perhaps a blog. After dinner and the news, I get down to the important things: creative writing. This is not as bad as it sounds, because I believe I am more creative at night. That's a somewhat typical day when we are home. But we travel a lot, and then, there's not a schedule. Each day is different. But, I try to squeeze in some writing every day.

: If you could spend one day with one person currently alive–outside of family–who would it be, and why?

: A few weeks ago, I would not have had an answer. But after watching the extensive coverage of Pope Francis on his United States visit, I think I would pick him. After watching his address to the United Nations and the Joint Session of Congress, I believe he would inspire me. His message, attitude, seemingly true love of the people appealed to Catholics and non-Catholics alike. I expect I would be changed after a one-on-one day with him.

: What is the #1 thing on your bucket list? Explain why.

: I have been so blessed, my bucket list is pretty short. I am trying to teach myself to play the Rachmaninoff Eighteenth Variation on a Theme by Paganini on the piano. I'd like to complete that. I have visited all fifty U.S. States and six continents. I'd like to get to the seventh, Antarctica.

: Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have advice on how to handle the bad?

: Yes, I read my reviews. I do not respond to them. The bad? First, read it with an open mind. Try to learn from the bad review. Is there some merit to it? Has that person pointed out an area that needs improvement? Did I really leave that out? Is was clear to me, but what about people who had not lived with the story for a year? If I don't find any merit to the bad review, then I forget it - quickly and completely.

: Tell us about your latest book.

cover-OverMyDeadBody: Reviews on my latest book, Over My Dead Body, have been good. It was published by Pennant Publishing and released the first week in May, 2015. It is a Christian mystery and is the second in the Father Frank Mysteries series. However, it can stand alone. One needn't have read the first in the series, Cleansed by Fire, to fully enjoy Over My Dead Body.

: Give us an overview of the story.

: A large corporation is taking land by eminent domain. Syd Cranzler stands in its way, threatening a court battle. After a heated meeting with the corporation representative, Syd is found dead from an overdose of heart medication. The police call it suicide. Case closed.

But Father Frank, Syd’s minister, and Georgia Peitz, another member of the church, don’t believe Syd committed suicide and begin to look for clues of what really happened. This has an ill affect on Georgia’s budding romance with the lead detective.

When the priest is almost poisoned, they convince the police to investigate further. Immediately, Father Frank becomes the target of rumors and speculation he might have had something to do with Syd’s death.

The more clues Father Frank and Georgia uncover, the more danger they find themselves in. Can they find the real killer before they become victims?

: I enjoyed Cleansed by Fire. What made you choose a priest as your ‘hero’?

: I wanted a person who received some information on a church burning, but couldn't tell anyone, not even the police. A priest, getting the information in the confessional, fit that mold. Plus, I got the added dimension of his personal conflict between keeping the seal of confession and his desire to prevent more church burnings.

: Would you please provide a buy link/s for Over My Dead Body?

: Absolutely. Both print and Kindle editions can be found at: http://amzn.to/1BmYQ0Q

:About James R. Callan

jim-color-formal-small: After a successful career in mathematics and computer science, receiving grants from the National Science Foundation and NASA, and being listed in Who’s Who in Computer Science and Two Thousand Notable Americans, James R. Callan turned to his first love—writing. He has had four non-fiction books published. He now concentrates on his favorite genre, mystery/suspense, with his seventh book releasing in early 2016.

Where can folks find you on the Internet?

First, let me thank you for inviting me to your site. It is definitely my pleasure.

Thank you, Jim, for accepting my invitation. The pleasure is mutual.

3 comments:

  1. This was a wonderful and informative interview. I am excited to learn about a new (to me) mystery/suspense author. I hope his book is on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bonnie, thanks for dropping in. Yes, it is. There is a link to it in the body of the post just above Jim's profile picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie. Yes, all my books are on Kindle and in paperback. Cleansed by Fire is in audio, and Over My Dead Body is being narrated right now. I was lucky to have a five-time Emmy winner audition for the audio of Cleansed by Fire. Now, he's working on Over My Dead Body. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete