Friday, November 22, 2019

Melody at Midnight, a devotional by Alexis A. Goring


Melody at Midnight

A devotional by Alexis A. Goring

God speaks to me through Contemporary Christian and Black Gospel music.

I always know He’s sent me a message through song because often it’s a song that I’ve heard before but all of a sudden, certain lyrics stand out to me.

These are always the lyrics that speak directly to my current situation, lyrics that didn’t mean the same profound truth or provide the much-needed deep comfort as they did when I first listened to the song years in the past.

Sometimes, God sends devotional ideas by highlighting lyrics to the songs. Such is the case with today’s devotional. The title I gave it is borrowed from a lyric from Kirk Franklin’s song, “Why We Sing.”

Somehow, though I’ve heard this song countless times before, this part really stood out to me earlier this November 2019. It’s the line where Franklin declares: “You’re my melody at midnight, Jesus!”

Instantly, my mind began to expound on that line in ways it never had before, and I knew that God wanted me to write this devotional.

Here’s what I realized from that one line: No matter how dark trails in life may be, Jesus Christ is by your side and gives your heart a sweet song to sing! Why? Because you have HOPE when you have HIM in your life! Following Jesus Christ will propel you into the promise of eternal life after human history ends and He returns to take His faithful followers home to Heaven.

Earlier this week, one of my author friends (AngelaRuth Strong) shared that she was recently diagnosed with cancer. It’s a disease that runs in her family so she knew it might be a challenge that she’d face one day but in no stretch of the imagination did she think that it would happen so soon! She’s not near old age yet. But the doctors confirmed that she has breast cancer.

Angela is married to the man of her dreams named Jim and has three young adult children from her marriage to her first husband. She wants to see her children graduate from college, and she wants to be present for each child when they get married. This is definitely a dark time for Angela, but she’s surrounded by the love and support of her family and friends. But most importantly, she’s being held by her Maker (God) who is carrying her through this uncertain time.

As I close this devotional, I’d like to encourage you to listen to the song “Why We Sing” and I’d like to invite you to pray for Angela.

Finally, I’d like to encourage you to remember that Jesus Christ wants to be your “melody at midnight.” No matter how dark and challenging the trails of life are, you always have hope when God is in the picture … and the good news is that God is always in the picture!

Be encouraged, sweet friends.

Love,

Alexis


About Alexis: 

Alexis A. Goring is a passionate writer with a degree in Print Journalism and an MFA in Creative Writing. She loves the art of storytelling and hopes that her stories will connect readers with the enduring, forever love of Jesus Christ. 



No comments:

Post a Comment