Wednesday, November 13, 2019

TALITHA: The Traveling Skirt


Well, hello, Whispers in Purple readers and visitors. If you've just dropped in out of curiosity, or stumbled over a bump in the road and found yourself here .. . . . 

 WELCOME! It's another WAHOO WEDNESDAY where you'll find featured authors talking about their new books, recent releases, and . . . . like today . . . one of my favorite types of blog posts: a peek behind the writing of the story.


So please welcome author Becky Van Vleet with a behind-the-scenes look of her book: 

TALITHA, THE TRAVELING SKIRT



Who could guess that Talitha is anything more than an ordinary skirt?  Well, I could!  You see, I have watched the history of this little skirt I wrote about for a children’s picture book unfold in my life-time for three generations.  Talitha’s story actually began when two teenage girls, Alberta (my mother) and Omadeen were friends in a small southern Indiana town before WWII.  Alberta and Omadeen later married their WWII sweethearts, and they stayed in touch with each other after the war when they moved to Indianapolis with their new husbands.

Omadeen presented a little red plaid skirt she had sewn for Alberta and Walter’s first daughter, Nancy, given to her about the time she turned two, 1948.  This little skirt became a treasured item when my mother decided that my oldest sister, Nancy, would get a professional photoshoot wearing the skirt.  And when three more daughters followed, my mother saved the little skirt and created a tradition and memory for all of her daughters to be photographed.  (I am the third daughter in the first generation.)

When my sisters and I married and had families of our own, my mother continued to save the little skirt.  Between the four daughters from the first generation, we added eight granddaughters to our family tree for the second generation.  These eight granddaughters began to marry and have children, producing more little girls for the third generation to wear this treasured skirt which had been carefully preserved.  Today, the little skirt must travel around in the skies to the various family homes since our extended family is scattered around the country.  My sisters and I, from the first generation, have encouraged the safekeeping of the little skirt and we pay attention to the skirt’s traveling itinerary.  The pleats are still intact, and the fabric is still a vibrant red plaid.  Amazing, since the skirt is now more than 70 years old.  Omadeen, who made the little skirt, is 94 years old and is still living.  She has a copy of my book, of course!

To learn more details about the story behind the story, please visit my website at www.beckyvanvleet.com. The theme of my website is creating and preserving memories, so if you are into treasuring family memories, I think you will enjoy my blogs. And I would enjoy hearing about your own ideas so that I can share with other readers!

Talitha, the Traveling Skirt is available for purchase at Barnes & Noble and Amazon.




ABOUT Becky
Becky Van Vleet and her husband make their home in Colorado Springs, where Becky enjoys gardening as well as hiking and biking in the great outdoors. Becky is one of the original girls who wore Talitha, the little skirt in her first children’s book, and the mother of four daughters, each of whom also wore Talitha. Becky relishes spending time with her family and especially reading to her grandchildren.

Peg (editor) note: This sounds like a winning and delightful book for moms to read to their young daughters. It perfectly matches the imagination . . . well, it did mine . . . a beautiful plaid skirt that travels from generation to generation through the years. 

Wouldn't you love to see that oh-so-special skirt? I would! What two-yr-old little girl wouldn't love to dance around in that red plaid skirt?

Thanks, Becky. This gripped my heart. Though I don't have any young grand or great-granddaughters to share this with ... yet! My family seems to produce boys . . . including another great-great-grandson due in February.


2 comments:

  1. Becky, thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story. If I had little ones still in my life what fun it would be to read this aloud to them. God bless you and your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peg! I appreciate this opportunity so much. I always enjoy sharing the family history behind this children's book. I am a big believer in creating and preserving family memories, especially passing down stories to the next generation. I truly hope we can encourage one another to share our family stories to keep them preserved for the generations to follow.

      Delete