Friday, June 16, 2017

Broken Eggs and Prayer Meeting ♦ Elle Kay


Broken Eggs

 a Devotional by Elle E. Kay

At around 6:30 p.m., I changed my pants to put the goats away, so I wouldn’t get mud and manure all over the clothes I planned to wear to prayer meeting. Rushing back in, I changed back into the clothes I would be wearing out to prayer meeting. Quickly, I prepared my coffee and gathered my things. I would be leaving the house right on time. I might even get there a minute or two early. A good thing, since Pastor Dave likes to say ‘If you’re not early, you’re late.’

It had been months since I had made it to a prayer meeting. This is very unusual for me. I’m a three or four time a week church goer. Recently, I have been going through a particularly rough patch physically, which has led to a less than stellar attendance record on Wednesday and Thursday nights. It’s not easy to go back after an extended absence, and circumstances didn’t want to make it easier on me. I’d hoped to go back the two weeks prior, but hadn’t managed to get there.

After stuffing my phone into my purse, I grabbed my keys, travel mug and Bible. I got my crutch from near the desk and I swung my purse over my shoulder. Turning around at the door, I went to put my shoes on. As I did this, I heard the crash. Looking down, I saw the eggs I had just collected from the chicken coop. They lay smashed on the floor. Yolks and whites shining on the hardwoods. I’d somehow bumped into the basket of eggs when turning toward my shoes. 

What a mess!

Thankfully, the Lord honored my plans to go to prayer meeting and brought to my realization immediately that this was likely the devil’s attempt to keep me from prayer meeting. Every week delayed was a small victory for him. I could let him have another win and miss prayer meeting. I could lose my composure and let this tiny accident upset me.  Or I could resist the devil and run to my safe haven, the Rock of my salvation.

James 4:7
“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”  

I shook it off. I cleaned up the mess and I went to prayer meeting a few minutes late. It was more important for me to break the cycle of missed meetings than it was to be on time. I needed to get there. And get there I did. We took prayer requests, talked over church history and studied the preservation of God’s words. None of what we did was brand new to me, but it was important for me to be there. It was important to have fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ and to be reminded of my place in the body of Christ.


Tomorrow, I intend to find my way to Bible Study, broken eggs, spilled milk, or whatever else comes my way. I missed the study for the first couple of chapters of Exodus, but I’m sure I’ll be ready to jump right in. Maybe that’s why I’m currently reading Exodus in my Bible. God’s timing is always perfect.

About Elle:

Elle E. Kay lives on a farmette in the Back Mountain region of Pennsylvania. She lives with her husband, son, dog, and farm animals. She enjoys playing with goats and sheep. She can also frequently be seen with chickens landing on her head. A comical sight to be sure.

Elle is a hopeless romantic who believes in happily-ever-after. She is a born-again Bible believing Christian.

Stella is her debut novel, and is available from most retailers. Claudia, the next book in the Endless Mountain Series, is expected to be released later this year.

Elle writes children’s books under the pen name, Ellie Mae Kay. 

Find Elle online at:



x

No comments:

Post a Comment