Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Do You Have a Writing Schedule?

writing_as_professionalI subscribe to the RSS feeds for 10 or 11 blogs dealing specifically with writing. I won’t list them all here, but I’m working on a list of links that will be on my Whispers in Purple blog/website later today…hopefully.

Anyway, today I’m going to mention just one of them, probably the one I make a point to read every day: The Kill Zone. IIs focus is primarily mystery and suspense, hence the title. The posts on Sunday is one I NEVER fail to read because it is written by one of my all-time favorite writers, James Scott Bell.

This past Sunday’s post is titled,  Are Most Writers Polygamous?

The basic point deals with writers who work on more than one project at a time, otherwise known on multi-tasking.

Go ahead and read it. I’ll wait. Be sure to read the comments as well.

Welcome back! So, what did you think? Did you see, in particular, the comment by DALE? He prefers to call it multi-tracking.  I like that. The implication seems–to me–to be a more friendly approach to our writing endeavors.

I also like James Scott Bell’s remark about Isaac Azimov, who wrote on one project until he was tired, then moved to another typewriter where he had a different project going and wrote on that for a while. I really liked that, and, since I have two computers–a desktop, where I do most of my work,  and a new laptop which, to date, has only been used as a spare for when the desktop is updating, freezes or the power goes out–I’m going to start doing that. Because I do have two (soon to be three) projects going at the same time.

So, here’s my question: How do you manage your writing projects? Share some of your processes in the comments section below

Join the conversation!

TWEETABLES:

[bctt tweet="For writers: Multi-tasking or Multi-tracking? Is there a difference? Share your thoughts."]

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peg! I enjoyed the post by JSB and Dale's comment. There's always an idea simmering on low in the back of my imagination - well, at least one! I'm an index card user and that's where those thoughts go. And they grow there. I only give them a little bit of time each day, because I struggle with distraction so it's easy to lose myself in the new and neglect the current. :) Thanks for the post - it's fun to know how other writers do this thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Joy! I always enjoy seeing you here :) I've always been curious about using index cards, but haven't figured out a way to keep them in a place where I won't forget them. Do you use a whiteboard for this? In other words, how to you manage them without forgetting them? I'm really bad about that.
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete