Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Welcome Author Alexis Goring

Media image

Title: Hope in My Heart

Author: Alexis Goring

Publisher: CrossBooks

Release Date: September 2013

 

Welcome, Alexis, tell us about this book:

My first book, Hope in My Heart: A Collection of Heartwarming Stories, is an inspirational romance novella composed of three stories.

Book blurb:

In “Love Unexpected,” a car crash brings commitment-wary Sebastian and career woman Chandra together. Neither is looking for romance, but those around them see the potential, and Sebastian and Chandra discover that sometimes love shows up unexpectedly.

Christmastime is the setting for the middle story, “The Best Gift.” Christina desires to lose ten pounds so she can fit into her dress for her sister’s wedding. Jordan wishes her mom would stop trying to marry her off. And Joshua hopes to be reunited with his ex-girlfriend but eventually learns that the best gift this Christmas will be the restoration of his relationship with God.

In “Peace and Love,” three characters living in a metropolitan area are desperately searching. Elle, a starving artist, aspires to become a paid professional. Eric, a divorce attorney, wants to resolve his issues concerning his parents’ divorce. Kristine anticipates finding her birth mom before she marries Derek. All characters pray their searches will conclude this holiday season and fill their hearts with peace and love.

Interview Questions:

What do you hope readers will take away from this book?

I hope my book will warm the hearts of my readers, bring smiles to their faces and encourage them in their real-life journey. My book takes real-life situations and infuses hope into the picture. I want my reader to know that no matter how dire a situation in their life is with God they always have hope. The Bible says in Romans 8:28, “All things work together for the good of those who love Him.” I find that to be true in my life and I hope my readers will too.

How did the idea for this book come to you?

Honestly, I don’t really remember. Since my book is a novella composed of three individual stories, the ideas for each story came to me over the years. I think I wrote the first story “Love Unexpected” about seven years ago and the following stories, “The Best Gift” and “Peace and Love” several months after completing the first.

What keeps you the most humble as a writer?

I ask God to keep me humble and true to Him in my creative writing pursuits and He certainly has in a good way. I praise God for giving me the gift of writing. He deserves all the credit, not me.

Is your writing journey as you envisioned it? If not, how is it different?

My writing journey thus far is not quite as I envisioned it but it’s just as good. As a child at age 9 when I “knew” I wanted to be a writer, I thought I would study writing in college, graduate and start work full-time as a writer. Only to find as I grew up that it’s not that easy. Breaking into the Arts and Entertainment industry takes hard work, preparation, perseverance and of course talent which God blessed me with but I’m still in the perseverance stage. I trust that if this is God’s will for me, everything will work out better than I envision it. I’m learning to follow God’s lead and trust His perfect timing in providing for me.

What do you do "just for you"?

I treat myself to a peppermint pedicure with a hot stone treatment at my favorite day spa.

What motivates you to get out of bed and head to your keyboard?

My desire to be a writer on a full-time basis and my goal to write one book per year motivate me to get out of my bed and take to the keys.

What have you learned recently about yourself and how has it affected your writing?

I used to write only when inspiration hit, which was only a few times per month. But I learned that I need to be more disciplined in my creative writing pursuits. So I decided, starting this year, I will take time to work on my creative stories at least five days a week. I’m currently working on my next book and thanks to God helping me become more disciplined, I’m making progress!

What gives you the most satisfaction in your writing—besides "The End," that is?

The creative process gives me the most satisfaction in my writing because I love being moved by music, creating captivating characters and pulling from real life experiences to create fictional story worlds that I love and my readers enjoy. God gives me the inspiration to be a writer and I am forever grateful.

If you weren't a writer, what would you most likely be doing instead?

I’d love to be a lifestyle and wedding photographer! I love meeting new people and capturing their story—especially their love story—on film. So yes, being a professional photographer would be my dream career if I were not focusing on writing.

What sparks your creativity when feeling drained?

Taking a break to watch a romantic movie, eating my favorite meal like the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich on Tomato Basil Bread from PANERA, listening to music, or treating myself to a slice of chocolate cake help to refuel my creativity when I’m feeling drained.

Do you write in one place, or switch off to different locations? Describe your favorite writing area.

I like writing at the kitchen table because of the triple windows. Sunlight streams through and makes my creativity bloom. Music is my muse, especially movie soundtracks that are pure instrumental.

If you were a coffee, what would you be? French Roast? French Vanilla? Decaf? Columbian? Breakfast Blend?

A caramel macchiato from Starbucks

About Alexis:

Autumn 2014Alexis A. Goring is a college graduate with a degree in print journalism from Washington Adventist University in Takoma Park, Maryland. Writing is her passion. She hopes that her stories will touch hearts, bring smiles to faces, and inspire minds to seek God whose love for humanity is unfailing.

Purchase links:

Social media links:

Thank you so much, Alexis, for spending your time with us and letting us get to know you!

No comments:

Post a Comment